Boulder King Soopers suspect still incompetent to stand trial, judge says

The man charged with fatally shooting 10 people inside a Boulder King Soopers store last year remains incompetent to stand trial, further delaying court proceedings that have dragged on for more than a year.

Boulder County Chief Judge Ingrid Bakke during a brief hearing Friday said doctors still believe the suspect can be restored to competency in the near future with the use of medications. Doctors at the state hospital in Pueblo declared the suspect, 22-year-old Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa, incompetent to stand trial in December.

Bakke set a new hearing in the case for July 21.

The criminal case against the suspect has ground to a stop as questions about his competency linger. Ten people were killed in the March 22, 2021, shooting in the grocery store: Boulder police Officer Eric Talley, 51; Denny Stong, 20; Neven Stanisic, 23; Rikki Olds, 25; Tralona Bartkowiak, 49; Teri Leiker, 51; Suzanne Fountain, 59; Kevin Mahoney, 61; Lynn Murray, 62; and Jody Waters, 65.

The suspect faces 10 counts of first-degree murder, 47 counts of attempted first-degree murder, one count of first-degree assault, 10 counts of felony possession of a prohibited large-capacity magazine, and 47 crime of violence sentence-enhancers.

The suspect has yet to enter a plea to the charges. If restored to competency, Bakke will next hold a hearing to determine whether he should be held without bond and whether there is enough evidence for the case against him to proceed.

Source: Read Full Article