Couple face murder charge after starving daughter, 5, died weighing half a stone

A couple have been charged with murder after their malnourished five-year-old daughter died in hospital weighing half a stone.

Jerrail Mickens, 31, and Porscha Mickens, 29, who live near Buford, Georgia, US brought their daughter Kylie Mickens to hospital on June 7.

Staff at Northeast Georgia Medical Center Braselton contacted cops about the youngster who was was unresponsive due to her condition and low weight.

She was then flown to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta – Scottish Rite Hospital.

Cops launched an investigation the next day after Kiley died.

The four-month probe included interviews, a search of the Mickens’ home and an autopsy on Kylie.

The autopsy in early October found Kylie died from dehydration and malnutrition due to medical neglect.

Her death was considered a murder and her parents were arrested.

After her death, her grandmother posted a message on Facebook seeking donations for her burial.

In her post, the woman wrote that her granddaughter was born with 'a rare condition' and was only expected to live two years. 

'However we experienced a true miracle and were able to enjoy 5 years with her,' the post read.  

Both Jerrail and Porscha Mickens remained at the Hall County Jail without bond on Wednesday.

Last month a 12-year old boy was found beaten, starved to death and covered in faeces in his family’s home.

  • Babysitter mauled by dog who sank teeth into face in 'excruciating' 45-minute attack

Maxwell Schollenberger was locked in a bare, unlit room with its blinds and windows nailed shut.

The youngster existed in a state of “perpetual suffering” for a long period, according to a Pennsylvania prosecutor.

He never received medical care and never went to school, Lebanon County District Attorney Pier Hess Graf told reporters.

There was no furniture in the unlit second-floor bedroom except a filthy mattress. Maxwell was so weak that he could not walk or even stand when he died.

The boy was so malnourished that he could no longer digest food, and he died weighing just three stone.

DA Graf said that it would have required a long period of starvation for him to deteriorate into such a weakened state.

Max was only fed on table scraps, on the rare occasion that he was fed at all. He had also suffered a severe blow to the head and it was a combination of malnutrition and he'd trauma that led to his death.

Following homicide charges filed against Scott Schollenberger, 42 and his girlfriend Kimberly Maurer 35, DA Graf told a press conference: “This tiny 12-year-old boy never knew the unconditional love from a family."

|I will not call this living. He existed in a state of perpetual suffering,” she said. “By the time of his death he was in that room 24 hours a day, seven days a week."

Maxwell’s brothers and sisters “were told to ignore him and not talk to him,” DA Graf told reporters, adding that one of them told investigators they didn’t know he was there.

Maurer and Scott Schollenberger are now being held in Lebanon county prison without bail. The couple's other children are now in the care of the county Children and Youth agency.

Scott Scholleberger was on bail from an unrelated assault charge at the time of his arrest, the DA said.

She added that the death penalty would not be sought against the couple because it is not legally permitted under the facts of this particular case.

Source: Read Full Article