Dog poo left a rugby player needing his leg sliced open by medics after it infected a graze on the pitch.
Neil Baxter, 44, thought he'd suffered just another knock when an opposition player's stud hit his calf during a match but it burnt up and spiralled into three months of hospital treatment.
In a match between his Essex-bade club Mistley and rivals Shelford from Cambridgeshire, Neil's small wound ballooned by about 10cm started feeling red hot.
Neil carried on playing but an operation on his leg eventually followed after doctors told him the wound had become infected with dog poo.
READ MORE: Dentist's botched operation leaves woman's nose slowly rotting off her face
The locksmith said: "I went to A&E and they said I had an abscess just behind my shin bone, so they had to cut my leg open and flush it all out.
"They had to leave the wound open and pack it with loads of stuff, which they gradually removed over a three-month period before gradually closing it up."
Neil ended up spending seven days in hospital, last February but a year later the feeling has not returned to his calf.
The married dad of a son, 12, and daughter, 13, said: "I now cannot feel my calf from about two inches below my knee right to the bottom of the muscle. You could stick a pin in there I would not be able to feel it."
He said he is very grateful to be back playing rugby again after the ordeal left him with 20% muscle loss along with a "big dent" in his calf.
Neil said: "I had to do a lot of work in the gym- going from being very strong in my legs to not being able to lift any weight on that leg was strange.
He continued: "We've put a lot more protocols at the club since it happened – we now have wipes and gel to clean any cuts before showering.
For more shocking stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here
"People are more vigilant now. The council weren't able to put more poo bins out so we've installed them and emptied the bins ourselves.
"I own two dogs and I would not leave poo anywhere – it is just the 1% of owners responsible."
- 'I tried to help injured hawk but ended up screaming as it buried talon in my hand'
- Desperate Brit fixes broken teeth with £3.99 plastic and superglue kit from Amazon
- Brit woman, 21, tragically died after taking toxic 'fat burning' pills from Ukraine
Source: Read Full Article
Women are at the front of the Q to be James Bond’s latest gadget guru
Hungary's authoritarian leader slams Zelensky after winning re-election
National Weather Service says winds and snow forecast for Denver
Rescued Ukrainian kids say speaking of horrors would make you sleepless
My babys skull crumbled from a brain tumour after 18 failed visits to the GP