Emma Raducanu has pulled out of the upcoming Kremlin Cup, just over a month after her US Open victory.
The 18-year-old British tennis star had been due to play in the Moscow-based tournament between 18 and 24 October.
But on Thursday she blamed a scheduling problem, saying that she was instead looking forward to returning to the WTA Tour in the “next couple of weeks”.
“Unfortunately I’ve had to make a tournament schedule change and won’t be able to play Moscow this year, but I hope to compete there and in front of the Russian fans next year,” she said in a statement.
“I look forward to returning to the tour in the next couple of weeks.”
Raducanu lost to Belarusian Aliaksandra Sasnovich in straight sets at Indian Wells, California, last Friday in her first match since her US Open win on 11 September.
The world number 22 said after the defeat: “I’m kind of glad that what happened today happened so I can learn and take it as a lesson. So going forward, I’ll just have more experienced banked.
“I think it’s going to take me time to adjust really to what’s going on. I mean, I’m still so new to everything.
“I mean, I’m 18 years old. I need to cut myself some slack.”
Raducanu is due to compete in the Transylvania Open in her father’s home country of Romania later this month, and the Upper Austria Ladies tournament in Linz in November.
Source: Read Full Article