Gangsters chilling last words after being shot in gory Valentines Day Massacre

The 1920s prohibition opened up more opportunities for organised crime gangs to make fast cash from Americans missing their booze buzz.

The USA was host to several infamous gangs with their eyes on the prize – but only there was only room for one load of bootleggers at the top.

And it was this rivalry that landed Al Capone and his cronies at the height of suspicion for the Valentines Day Massacre.

The day was February 14 1929, and four men dressed as police officers barged into gang boss Bugs Moran’s headquarters on North Clark Street in Chicago.

George “Bugs” Moran was a career criminal who ran the North Side gang's bootlegging operations in the city.

He was known to have a rivalry with “Scarface” Al Capone for control of smuggling and trafficking operations in the city.

On one occasion, Moran and his associates drove six cars past a hotel in Cicero, Illinois, where Capone and his associates were having lunch and fired over 1,000 bullets into the building

The criminal leaders had both survived several attempts on their lives – but all of that was about to change.

  • 24 hours of deadly cartel chaos sees three killed and body 'dumped in bin bag' in town

The unidentified cops lined up seven of Moran’s henchmen against a wall, and shoot them to death in what became known as the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre.

It was believed that the assignations were the culmination of a gang war between the arch-rivals after Al Capone had a $50,000 bounty placed on his head and ordered that Moran’s gang be destroyed.

However, Moran was late and saw the police officers entering his property so he waited outside believing his men were being raided and arrested.

According to, the murdered men included Moran’s best killers, Frank and Pete Gusenberg.

For the latest weather updates and breaking news stories from the UK and across the globe, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Frank was reportedly still alive for three hours after the incident, in time for real officers to attend the scene.

But he kept his code of silence when he was asked who had shot him.

“No one, nobody shot me,” he said.

The St. Valentine’s Day Massacre was the last confrontation for both gangs as Capone was jailed in 1931 and Moran lost so many important men that he could no longer control his territory.

Source: Read Full Article