Councillors are furiously debating on whether they will allow for a controversial and alleged “misogynistic” new club to be open in an already very busy street of the city, reputable for bars and nightclubs.
Plans to open “Cad Club” are still in the air, amidst city authorities expressing that they had “grave concerns” to see the “James Bond meets Playboy” members’ club being launched “in the heart of Newcastle”.
Cad Club would potentially occupy Pizza Express’ former building, currently abandoned on the hectic and popular street of Dean Street, Chronicle Live reports.
Oppositions come as a result of the club presenting itself as an exclusive space, targeting a certain demographic, mainly male.
Cad Club is a project brought by Bijoux Leisure Ltd’s, which owns Bijoux, a nightclub notably made famous from MTV UK’s reality show, Geordie Shore.
The company’s director, Dan Miller, reportedly told during a Newcastle City Council hearing which took place on Tuesday, that he was confused about the negative response the project had received.
He objected to the claims that Cad Club would be a “James Bond meets Playboy” type of venue, and instead referred to the club’s 1960s-style decor in a bid to dispute accusations that the project was “misogynistic”.
As the Chronicle Live reported, the plans had attracted “a string of objections”, amid allegations that its “scantily clad” hostesses would be “sex objects”.
However, Dan Miller reportedly promised that staff would in fact be given an allowance “to buy their own clothes” and that the dress would be “similar to what you would see on a night out – very glamorous and upmarket”.
He went on to explain that the “high end” Cad Club would be a location for “like minded” guests to sit and “discuss business or politics”.
Moreover, the director revealed that the club’s food menu would be “of a standard that Newcastle has not seen before”.
Nevertheless, Joan Flood, a member of the council’s community safety team allerted fellow councillors on the licensing sub-committee about the project being a “retrograde step from a family-friendly pizza restaurant”.
“The possibility of scantily clad hostesses will only appeal to a very narrow and shrinking male demographic and will certainly not drive the economy longer term,” she said.
Joan’s opinion was matched with Sgt Julie Cottiss’, who works for the Northumbria Police.
The police officer said that she also had “grave concerns” about “the prospect of a new club open until 3am each night in one of the busiest parts of Newcastle”.
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
Additionally, the head of the city’s licensing authority, Jonathan Bryce, advised that Cad Club would have a “significantly greater impact” than Pizza Express did in an area with an “evident saturation” of bars and clubs at the gateway to the Quayside.
“I don’t believe there is a bespoke trading style, I don’t believe that the conditions offered are for the betterment of the locality,” he said.
Despite Dan Miller’s disappointment after hearing the city authorities’ negative reactions, he still encouraged councillors to give the project the green light.
He justified his endorsement by saying that there had been “no interest” from any other restaurant “in breathing new life into the closed pizza chain”.
He added: “This is the most benign use you could put in there that would be commercially robust and sustainable. That is shown by the lack of interest from other operators in Newcastle.”
Newcastle’s council is reportedly weighing in on whether or not the controversial venue will be allowed to open “within five working days”.
Source: Read Full Article