Johnson & Johnson vaccine: ‘Lack of demand’ in US says expert
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
The Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) approved the restart of the Johnson&Johnson vaccine after 11 days after there were concerns over the link between the vaccine and blood clots. Around eight million people received the jab with 15 suffering from blood clots which forced medicine regulators to investigate and list blood clots as a very rare side effect. However, much like in Europe, the pausing of the vaccine has hurt confidence in the vaccine with Americans turning down their chance to receive it.
Figures show that only one in a million women will suffer from any form of blood clotting from the J&J vaccine in America.
Director of the National Institutes of Health Dr Francis Collins said the chances of being “struck by lightning” were much higher.
Despite the low odds, the daily vaccination average in the US of 2.8 million people is at its lowest level since the end of March.
Some states such as Iowa have seen vaccinations sit in storage as many refuse to turn up for their appointments as they fear any form of blood clotting.
In Decatur County, Kansas, around a third of the county’s 2,900 population have turned up to receive their first vaccine.
A poll conducted by CBS News showed 60 percent of Americans say they would receive the vaccine or already have.
The remaining 40 percent had 18 percent saying maybe and 22 percent saying they would not receive the vaccine.
The CDC also found a rising trend of people not turning up to their second vaccine appointment with around five million Americans dodging their jab.
While the reason for this is still unclear scientists have not ruled out the rise of vaccine hesitancy as being one of the reasons.
Joe Biden: It’s time for American troops to come home
The CDC says 92 percent of Americans are going ahead with both of their vaccine appointments leaving 8 percent unaccounted for – which is roughly five million Americans.
As of Sunday, 225 million Americans have received their first dose.
The Johnson&Johnson vaccine was also approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) after they agreed blood clot was a side effect but the vaccine benefits outweigh the risks.
But Europe faces a similar problem like the US as vaccine hesitancy grows against the AstraZeneca jab and its connection to blood clots.
Brexit Britain in economy boom as EU faces ‘bankruptcy’ threat [INSIGHT]
Von der Leyen makes plea to US tourists to come on summer holidays [UPDATE]
Protect the NHS, by giving it a shake-up, says JAMES WHALE [COMMENT]
Countries in Europe are beginning to see a pick-up in their vaccination programme after months of political wrangling with other countries and pharmaceutical companies.
European Commission President Ursula Von Der Leyen imposed new border powers which could be used to deny exports of AstraZeneca vaccines to third countries outside of the EU.
But while disagreements between the EU and AstraZeneca have resulted in legal action from the bloc many Europeans still reject their AZ jabs over its very small blood clot risk.
European nations are hopeful however that their vaccination programme will allow summer holidays this year as the tourism sector has been ravaged by travel restrictions.
Source: Read Full Article