Man killed in hit-and-run after car ‘ran over him 5 times’ at Iceland car park

A 47-year-old man who was repeatedly run over by a car in an Iceland supermarket car park has died.

The Metropolitan Police have launched a murder inquiry into the death of a man who died after he was run over five times by a car on Sunday September 13.

Eyewitnesses saw paramedics performing CPR on the man as they battled to save his life, but police later confirmed he was pronounced dead at the scene in Dagenham, east London.

Locals claim a burnt out BMW was found nearby but the Met have not said whether this was the vehicle involved with the killing.

Forensic teams were also spotted combing the supermarket car park for evidence in what is a suspected hit and run.

As of Monday evening a red blanket remains on the Iceland car park floor where splatters of blood from the victim can still be seen.

Police have also reportedly been digging through the bushes around the side of the car park and taking photos of the surrounding area.

A mother-of-two who lives nearby, but asked not be named, said: "I couldn't believe it when I found out what happened.

"I heard a lot of sirens last night, but didn't realise how bad it was until this morning.

"I can't believe something like this could happen so close to my home, where my kids play and walk home from school."

  • Shooting and hunting exempt from Rule of Six rules in loophole for posh people

Shahid Khattack, store manager at the nearby Iceland which backs on to the scene, said staff were not allowed out of the building until 2am.

Mr Khattack said: "I was about to come out of the shop out the back when I saw the paramedics and emergency services.

"They were still working on him, pumping his chest, doing CPR, trying to save him. It was a shocking thing to see.

"We have a lot of trouble and threats from shoplifters, but you don't expect to see that.

"I think it is probably gang related. Some people I've spoken to the area said the police found a burnt out BMW 20 minutes later just up the road in Dagenham.

"So they must have run him over then driven up the road and set the car on fire.

"We weren't allowed to out the building until 2am while the car park was closed off. My shift was supposed to start again at 4am."

  • Queen 'inspired' by moving lockdown photo project launched by Kate Middleton

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Wrigley said: "We believe the victim was deliberately harmed and we are treating this incident as a murder inquiry.

"We need to hear from anyone who was in the area at the time and saw anything suspicious."

The force added that enquiries are ongoing and the victim's next of kin has been informed and a post-mortem examination is due be carried out.

Source: Read Full Article