Meghan and Harry ‘knew it would be difficult’ for royals after Oprah interview

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry "knew it would be difficult" for the Royal Family in the wake of their recent bombshell media interviews, a royal expert has said.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex stepped down as senior members of the Royal Family in March 2020 and have since given numerous interviews about their experiences inside the family.

Harry and his wife Meghan Markle announced on January 8 last year that they would step back from senior positions within the Firm following talks at Sandringham with Prince Charles, Prince William and the Queen.

Meghan and Harry have since relocated with their son Archie Harrison to California, having spent the intervening period living in Canada, in hopes of a more private lifestyle.

They have since taken part in a number of media interviews, including a bombshell interview with US talkshow host Oprah Winfrey, Harry's appearance on the Armchair Expert podcast with Dax Shepard and his new Apple TV+ series on mental health called The Me You Can't See.

The Sussexes made a series of shocking claims about the royal family during their chat with the US TV legend, including allegations that Kate Middleton made her new sister-in-law Meghan cry, as well as revelations that the Duchess of Sussex had suicidal thoughts and that there were concerns within the Palace about "how dark" their baby would be.

And now, speaking to Channel 5 documentary Harry and Meghan: Two Troubled Years royal expert Katie Nicholl explained Meghan and Harry knew the royals could not respond to each accusation made.

Ms Nicholl said: "The damage really has been long term.

"I think they went into knowing it was going to be very difficult for the Royal Family to have any sort of comeback.

"They certainly weren't going to sit down and address every single point and accusation made in the interview."

  • Kate Middleton 'rose above' Meghan and Harry's Oprah interview to play royal peacemaker

Following the interview, Buckingham Palace issued a statement on behalf of the Queen.

It said the Queen is "saddened" to hear the full extent of the challenges faced by the Sussexes and the issues raised around race are "concerning".

The Palace said while "some recollections may vary" they are taken "very seriously", but would be addressed by the family privately, adding Harry, Meghan and Archie will "always be much loved family members".

Harry and Meghan: Two Troubled Years is available to watch on My5.

Source: Read Full Article