A 71-year-old man has died after swallowing his own false teeth when he was attacked during a freak robbery that went wrong.
Gabriel de Jesus Pulgarin Bolivar from Medellin, Colombia was struck in the face during the ordeal and ordered to hand over his mobile phone, which he had only just bought.
The impact reportedly dislodged his dentures, causing him to choke and eventually suffocate.
Witnesses reported seeing the pensioner clutching his throat as he sat down on a bench, with a stranger then coming over to offer him some water.
Police were called to scene, with the victim able to tell them what had happened before being rushed to hospital.
Doctors were sadly unable to save his life.
Speaking to local media last Tuesday, police chief Jose Galindo confirmed that a suspect was being held in custody in connection with the death and the robbery.
Incidents where someone swallows their false teeth are rare, but can be serious and even fatal.
Last year a 90 year old care home resident in the UK was found to have died of dehydration more than a week after she swallowed a pair of false teeth.
A coroner's inquest blasted staff at The Grange nursing home in Stafford for showing an "absence of professional curiosity" after they failed to notice her teeth had gone missing.
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
And in 2020 a man successfully sued the NHS for £200,000 after becoming seriously ill during an operation to remove false teeth, which he had accidentally swallowed while playing with his grandchildren.
Derek Hamilton, 50, was awarded the sum after spending 45 days in hospital and suffering 'life changing injuries' during the procedure at Wishaw General Hospital in Lanarkshire.
Medical experts advise that anyone who swallows their dentures, even if only partially, should contact a health professional.
Source: Read Full Article