Pet rabbit dies of fright as ‘bomb-like’ fireworks go off around her home

A heartbroken pet owner has revealed how her beloved rabbit was killed following "bomb-like" fireworks in her area.

Jen Bradshaw from Wigan, Greater Manchester explained how her bunny Dash passed away in her arms following the explosive display on Thursday night.

The one-year-old Lion Lop rabbit suffered a fatal seizure, leaving student nurse Jen devastated.

The 26-year-old posted images on Facebook shortly after Dash's death, saying: "This is the real impact of fireworks on frightened animals.

"Stop taking the p*** out of concerned owners and have some compassion.

"I've got a dog cowering in his crate, another dog howling and shaking and a rabbit who has had two fits in my arms brought on by the bangs and died.

  • Daily Star's newsletter brings you the biggest and best stories – sign up today

"This rabbit was hopping around the run at 4pm and now she's dead. Frightened to death of losing any of my others."

In one picture Dash is laying across a towel in Jen's lap as she attempts to bring the rabbit round by syringing water into its mouth.

Dash had two fits due to the fright brought on by the fireworks and died in Jen's arms.

Fearing she would lose another of her now seven rabbits, Jen decided to bring the rest inside after acquiring crates from her friends to help save her rabbits from the fireworks.

Since sharing her experience, Jen's post has been shared in excess of 15,000 times with thousands expressing their sympathies for Dash.

Chrisy O'Donnell said: "I'm so sorry for your loss."

Steph Pugh posted: "My two bunnies have passed away to these horrible fireworks also. I'm absolutely devastated."

Amie Cox commented: "So sorry for your loss our pets are very of them too, bless."

And Karen Bellamy said: "So sorry about this awful. I have been saying for years we need silent fireworks.

Speaking today, Jen said: "It was 6pm and the fireworks were already booming, not your run of the mill fireworks but proper bomb-like ones. I went outside to feed & check on my rabbits. I noticed Dash lying on the floor of the paved run.

"She was lethargic and cold but breathing, she seemed like she was in shock.

"I wrapped her in a towel to warm her up and syringed a little water into her mouth to try and bring her round a bit.

"I checked her heartbeat with my stethoscope and it was much slower than it should have been.

"Then another round of fireworks started and with the initial boom she jolted in my arms.

"Her legs and paws twitched a bit, her eyes shook in her skull and then rolled back to show the whites. Her neck extended and her whole body went stiff as a board.

"After a couple of minutes she relaxed but there was another round of fireworks and she had another episode.

"This time she didn't relax and stayed stiff. Her heartbeat faded and she passed away in my arms.

"Two friends offered me things I could use as indoor cages for my other rabbits so my partner went and got them and then we brought the others in."

Source: Read Full Article