Poorly dog rushed to vets after 40cm stick gets wedged down her throat

A dog had to be operated on after an endoscopy revealed a 40cm long stick had become lodged inside the animal.

The three-month-old puppy’s owner rushed the St Barnard dog to the vet after realising the pooch was having trouble swallowing.

South South Lincs Vet Group, based in Sutterton, said the dog nicknamed Twiggy was “happy and lively” but “gulping a little”.

Vets anaesthetised Twiggy so they could perform an endoscopy, which is a procedure that uses a flexible tube with a light camera to see inside the oesophagus.

After a short while, a veterinary nurse quickly found the root cause of the problem, a stick that had become lodge in the animal’s throat.

In a post on Facebook, the clinic wrote: “Twiggy came to our Sutterton Hospital and was a typical puppy, happy to see everyone and very lively, the only thing was she was gulping a little.

"Twiggy was anesthetised so we could perform an endoscopy (an endoscope is a flexible tube with a light and camera which is inserted directly into the body).

"We soon found the culprit – a stick, which was lodged in her.

"We attempted to remove the stick using endoscopic forceps but was unsuccessful – and we would later realise why.”

The vet said the “only option” was to now proceed with surgery, and the clinic’s Luciano carefully opened Twiggy’s “oesophagus and located the stick”.

"He gently started to remove it, but it just kept coming. We were amazed at just how long the stick was, an impressive 40cm,” the vet wrote.

  • Mummified Ice Age puppy preserved for 14,000 years 'ate one of last woolly rhinos'

Sharing details of Twiggy's surgery, the veterinary clinic added: "Surprisingly the stick hadn't caused any internal damage, Twiggy was extremely lucky."

“She was hospitalised for 24 hours with us to ensure she did not encounter any post op complications, as the surgery performed was very complex.

"But Twiggy didn't know what all the fuss was about and recovered well following her surgery – she was able to eat and drink just 12 hours later.

"We all fell in love with this gorgeous girl, who at the time was not named. We think it's only right that she is named Twiggy after such an unbelievable story."

Source: Read Full Article