When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Princess Camilla de Bourbon des Deux Siciles, a Monte Carlo socialite, could face prison after she lost her bid to overturn a £2million fine. She has been warned that she faces 12 months in jail if she does not pay the hefty penalty within the next three weeks.
The royal was also rejected in her bid to pay it back in instalments over five years and told she only has until July 15 or will lose her freedom.
Her fall from grace began when she was found guilty of contempt for refusing to reveal the location of her mother’s fortune.
The fortune, which includes a £50million painting, was part of a £100m trust fund set up by her mother Edoarda Crociani for Princess Camilla and her sister Cristiana.
In 2010, £100m of investments and art was taken from the fund and transferred into Edoarda’s name, and Cristiana feared the cash was being given to her sister.
Cristiana then began legal proceedings claiming that steps were being taken to block her from inheriting the family’s estate.
A court ordered Edoarda and bank BNP Jersey, who were both trustees, to rebuild the trust fund, and told Princess Camilla to disclose details of her mother’s wealth.
But Princess Camilla was found in contempt after she refused to disclose the location of a £49.9m 1893 painting by Gauguin, known as ‘Hina Maruru’, alongside other valuables.
The original fine was imposed by the Royal Court in Jersey in December last year after it found that the princess had refused to inform lawyers acting for BNP of the whereabouts of assets held by, or on behalf of, her mother.
Princess Camilla had previously lost an appeal against the contempt finding.
Announcing the latest decision by Jersey Court of Appeal, Lord Anderson of Ipswich, said: “We reject the appellant’s claim that there is sufficient evidence before this court to make a determination that she is unable to raise £2 million, or to justify an application for payment in instalments.
“She has been, after all, on notice since 25 February 2020 that her contempt, if not purged, is likely to result in a fine in the millions; since 22 December 2020 that £2 million was to be paid within two months, on pain of imprisonment; and since our judgment of 15 February 2021 that further latitude is unlikely to be afforded without her submitting a full affidavit of means.”
Advocate Hiram Mistry, on behalf of Princess Camilla, put eight grounds of appeal to the court, including the improper involvement of the presiding Commissioner, the court’s lack of independence because of the previous involvement of one of the Jurats, and the lack of fairness of the proceedings.
Harry and Meghan response to claim Charles gave them money – IN FULL[ROYAL]
Disgusting! Meghan fans spark wild conspiracy on Queen’s Scotland trip[ROYAL]
Queen’s adorable response during video call with Canadian Navy Major[ROYAL]
He also argued that the fine of £2 million was disproportionate.
Dismissing the princess’s appeal, the court extended the period for her fine to be paid until July 15.
It has previously been claimed that Edoarda trapped her daughters in a ‘golden hell’ because they had no independence or private life.
Cristiana said that her mother was obsessed with them marrying into royalty and pressured her into marrying Italian Prince Bante Boncompagni Ludovisi – a relationship that lasted only four months.
She further claims that her mother refused to allow her to marry French entrepreneur Nicolas Delrieu
The following year, Princess Camilla married Prince Carlo – head of the Italian House of Bourbon des Deux Siciles in a ceremony described by The Times as the “blue-blood wedding of the decade”.
Source: Read Full Article