We all know our dogs are a fan of anything tasty, they’ll pretty much eat anything they can get their paws on.
But PPE gloves…we can’t imagine that being a tasty treat, even for a dog.
But for Rottweiler Rambo, he couldn’t resist the temptation of scoffing his owner’s PPE.
After finding the rubber gloves in the car, Rambo ate them when his owner wasn’t looking and then hid the evidence under his bed.
And he didn’t just eat one glove, he ate 30 of them!
Owner Darren Coyne had been provided with several boxes of PPE gloves to help him with his job to ensure he was adhering to the lockdown rules.
Rambo would be taken in the car for local exercise walks and would travel in the rear of the car, near where the gloves were stored.
But after being sick and bringing up one of the gloves, Darren rushed his dog to the vets.
Seven-year-old Rambo was first taken to Wakefield Westgate Vets4Pets for a check-up and then to Leeds Birstall Vets4Pets 24/7 hospital for an endoscopy.
And that’s when Rambo’s secret habit of eating PPE was finally uncovered.
“I’ve been taking Rambo in the car with me for many journeys and he’s never paid much attention to anything in the car,” admitted Darren.
“I had several boxes of gloves and just assumed I’d used all of one box; which is why Rambo got away with eating and hiding them.
“When he was sick with one glove I instantly recognised it and searched the car for any evidence of him eating anything else.
“That was when I found the box hidden underneath his bed and the missing gloves.
“I rushed him to my vet practice, Vets4Pets Wakefield Westgate, and from there I was in their professional hands as they helped Rambo.
“When he went to Leeds Birstall Vets4Pets 24/7 hospital for the endoscopy I thought they might find one or two other gloves, but was gobsmacked when Keith and his team eventually pulled the 29 gloves out.
“I can’t thank them enough for how they helped Rambo, particularly as he seemed to be his normal self and oblivious to the dangerous situation he was in.”
Keith Leonard, veterinary surgeon and owner at Leeds Birstall Vets4Pets 24/7 hospital, carried out the endoscopy with help from his team.
He said: “When Rambo was referred to us by our colleagues at Vets4Pets Wakefield Westgate, we didn’t think we’d be finding much; particularly as he bounced into the hospital seemingly without a care in the world.
“But the seemingly brief endoscopy turned into a three-hour operation as we removed 29 further PPE gloves from Rambo’s stomach, making it 30 in total that he had seemingly eaten.
“Each time we pulled a glove out, we went back to check it was the last one and found another one – it was something we’ve never seen or heard of before.
“While Rambo was outwardly in a healthy condition, it wouldn’t have taken much for his situation to have turned critical and his owner’s quick thinking to bring him into the practice and then our hospital effectively saved his life.”
Rambo was able to go home less than 12 hours after arriving for his endoscopy and has now fully recovered from his situation.
Keith added: “Dogs are inquisitive animals and the huge increase in usage of PPE gloves thanks to the Covid-19 pandemic means they’re more likely to come across these new and potentially fragrant items.
Join our brand new sister website TeamDogs today!
It's a place where you can share a picture of your dog in our Top Dogs feed and share your doggy advice.
“While Rambo was lucky, other pets might not be, so we’d encourage all owners to make sure to keep items that dogs or other pets shouldn’t have, way out of reach.
“But, if something does happen, then following the steps Darren took will help their pet’s predicament.”
Rambo is now separated in the car from anything he could eat, and the gloves stay firmly locked away.
“He’s a lucky dog, the gloves are now stored away out of his reach and I’ve told him ‘hands off’ my equipment,” added Darren.
Source: Read Full Article