A snake bit a dog in a bush leaving him with a swollen face and his owners scared of a repeat attack.
Marley the cocker spaniel was off the lead on a walk in Essex when he went "on an adventure" into some bushes where an adder was lurking.
Poor Marley let out an agonising yelp but luckily owner Holly Morgan-Jones, 34, spotted the slithering culprit in time to explain his pet's injuries to a vet.
Her husband Martin told the Southend Echo how bite marks began to appear on one-year-old Marley, as he dashed back to Holly on their walk at Langdon Hills Country Park.
Following the incident on Monday, Marley was kept at the vets until Wednesday afternoon.
Martin, 34, from Basildon said: "It gets quite scary when they start talking about anti-venom and what not.
"He had just yelped when he was sniffing some bushes, and came running back to Holly. She walked over to where he had been and she saw the adder slithering away.
“You wouldn’t think it would be a snake until she saw it there.
“Holly was really distressed when she came back, you could start to see the bite marks starting to appear.
“We managed to get him to the vets within 20 minutes.”
Owners Holly and Martin are now warning dog owners to keep their pets close in the park.
Mr Morgan-Jones, added: “I wouldn’t want to tell dog owners to keep their dogs on leads at all times because of the fear of snakes, but just to be more cautious and aware than we were.
“I would say just to become aware of their habitat and where the snakes will be."
They say they have felt helpless since the pup has been in the vets.
The adder is the UK’s only venomous snake. It spends its days in woodland, soaking up the sun and swallowing its prey whole according to the Woodland Trust.
For the latest breaking news stories from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
Source: Read Full Article