Soldier, 20, faces jail for ‘slashing pal’s throat with broken bottle in Maga’

A female soldier is facing trial for allegedly slashing her friend’s throat with a broken bottle in Magaluf.

Sydney Cole, 20, could face up to 10 years in jail if found guilty of the attack against her Army friend Sarah Garrity, 23.

The young mum allegedly lashed out at Sarah after a 14-hour booze binge at an all-you-can-drink foam party in April 2019.

Lance corporal Garrity lost four pints of blood and her lung collapsed when her throat was slashed at Bananas Club, reports the Daily Record.

It is understood Garrity only survived the attack after a rugby player raced to stop the blood gushing from her wounded neck.

She was rushed to hospital in Palma, Spain after more than 24 hours in intensive care and three days on a general ward.

  • Daily Star's newsletter brings you the biggest and best stories – sign up today

Cole and Garrity had been holidaying in Magaluf and was sharing a hotel room along with another female soldier, Deborah Ferguson, when the attack happened.

Local media reported at the time Sarah had allegedly been trying to break up a row between Cole and Deborah, who had stopped speaking to each other.

Sarah, from Ayrshire, Scotland, told court officials she didn't want to press charges against her Army friend.

Cole was then freed to jail and told she could return to Britain, but the 20-year-old will face a Spanish court after an investigating magistrate ruled there was evidence she committed a crime.

The soldier’s defence lawyer said: "State prosecutors have yet to submit a formal indictment."

Despite the ordeal, Cole was not suspended from the Army – and the pair continue to work together and even had to stand on parade with one another.

A family source told the Daily Record: "We don’t feel the Army has looked after our girl in the way they should have.

"When she got back to the base, she was expected to stand on parade with Cole.

"She was off work for three months and just one officer came out to see her. We are not happy."

An Army spokesman said: "We can confirm an investigation is ongoing following an incident with a British soldier in Spain last year.

"We take our duty of care to personnel very seriously and a dedicated welfare officer is always appointed to ensure pastoral support is provided to those who need it.

"While this matter is under ­investigation, it would be inappropriate to comment further."

Source: Read Full Article