Terrified students abseil four storeys as raging fire engulfs building in smoke

Dramatic scenes unfolded as a dozen of students abseiled down a building after a flat caught fire.

The incident happened at a coaching centre in Mukherjee Nagar in the city of Delhi, India on Thursday at 12.30pm local time.

Mobile phone footage taken by shocked witnesses shows the terrified students clinging for their lives on a wire and rappelling down a four-storey building.

READ MORE: Residents flee from huge blaze and 'series of explosions' that 'shook homes'

They throw their backpacks and belongings out of the burning flat.

Some step on the air-conditioning units while others rush their way to the ground floor.

According to NDTV, four students received minor injuries.

Emergency department sent 11 fire engines to the site and first responders arrived in time to help the students to get away from danger.

Officials at the fire department confirmed that no casualty has been reported.

Delhi Police chief Suman Nalwa gave details to the incident: "Panic spread as a fire broke out in the electricity metre of the building.

"Some students attempted to come down through the window.

"Three to four students received injuries but there has been no major damage.

"The students got panicked because of the smoke."

To get more stories from Daily Star delivered straight to your inbox sign up to one of our free newsletters here.

Source: Read Full Article