Nigel Farage erupts as poppy-selling veteran punched by protesters

Nigel Farage slams inaction over Remembrance Day protests

Nigel Farage branded the alleged assault on a veteran selling poppies at a station during a pro-Palestinian rally as an “absolute disgrace”.

The former Ukip and Brexit Party leader said the UK has “allowed people into our country that despise everything we stand for”.

Mr Farage’s comments come after Jim Henderson, 78, claimed he was punched as protesters staged a sit-in at Waverley Station in Edinburgh last Saturday against the actions of the Israeli government in Gaza.

Mr Farage said: “This is an absolute disgrace. We have allowed people into our country that despise everything we stand for.

“Both Labour and the Tories have done this to us.”

Mr Henderson, who said he served in the Royal Corps of Signals, 32 Signal Regiment in Northern Ireland, claimed the assault happened during the rally while he ran a Poppyscotland stall at the station.

He told the Scottish Daily Mail: “I was getting shoved backwards, in danger of falling, and one of them stood on my foot and split my toe.

“I thought I had got to get the money out of here. So I went down, and as I bent down someone punched me in the back. And then I got another punch in my side.”

He said he managed to get up and was helped by three women wearing red railway uniforms.

Mr Henderson added: “I’ve never known anything like it.”

Police are investigating the alleged assault during the pro-Palestine protest.

British Transport Police Assistant Chief Constable Sean O’Callaghan said: “Detectives from British Transport Police are investigating a reported assault at Edinburgh Waverley Station on Saturday November 4.

“The incident occurred at approximately 3.30pm during a demonstration at the station.

“Detectives have been investigating the incident since it was reported to police on November 4.”

A Poppyscotland spokesperson said: “While we respect the rights of people to protest within the law, the safety and welfare of our volunteers is of paramount importance.

“One of our volunteers was infringed upon when trying to clear his stall to depart at the usual time of 3.30pm at Waverley Station on Saturday November 4.

“Our volunteer is safe and well, and we thank those that took the time to escort him out of the station.”

  • Support fearless journalism
  • Read The Daily Express online, advert free
  • Get super-fast page loading

Source: Read Full Article